Serve with Schramsberg Reserve
1 cup red currant jelly
4 5 oz. lamb fillets or saddles
1 cup and 1 teaspoon fresh red currants
1 bottle Cabernet Sauvignon, caramelized
3 swirls cassis syrup
3 cloves garlic, double blanched and minced
1 tablespoon basil, chopped
1 tablespoon butter, chilled
1 teaspoon fresh thyme
salt and white pepper to taste
5 lbs lamb bones
1 large Spanish onion cut in half, caramelized
1 bunch each thyme, basil, tarragon
1 tablespoon white peppercorns
- Roast lamb bones at 325 degrees for 2 ‐ 3 hours until dark brown.
- Place into large stock pot with the remaining ingredients.
- Add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer and cook for 4 ‐ 6 hours.
- Strain and reduce, skimming frequently.
- Place the wine, ¼ cup currants and cassis syrup in a sauce pot. Reduce until about 1 tablespoon remains.
- Add the lamb stock and reduce until the sauce coats a spoon.
- Add the garlic and basil and swirl in the butter.
- Strain through a fine mesh sieve and season with salt and white pepper.
- Place the red currant jelly on a plate and roll the lamb fillets in it.
- Place on a hot grill and cook for about two minutes or until caramelized and dark brown.
- Turn and cook for 1 ‐ 2 minutes more or until medium rare, or as desired.
To serve, slice the filet with the caramelized side up. Spoon 2 ‐ 1/2 ounces of Cabernet/red currant sauce over the filet and garnish with red currants and a sprinkling of fresh thyme.
An original recipe by Jamie Davies