Enjoy with Schramsberg Blanc de Blancs
- 1 1⁄2 cups hot water
- 3⁄4 cups (1 1⁄2 sticks) butter, chopped
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1⁄2 teaspoon
- 1 1⁄2c all-purpose flour
- 6 eggs, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups sour cream (drained in a cheesecloth-lined strainer overnight)
- 1 1⁄2 caviar
- 1⁄2 cups snipped fresh chives
- Combine water, butter, lemon peel and salt in a heavy, medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat.
- Add flour all at once and stir with a wooden spoon until incorporated. Set pan over medium heat and stir until mixture films bottom of pan. Let cool 5 minutes.
- Beat in eggs one at a time. Continue beating until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter baking sheets. Drop dough in 1 1⁄4” mounds onto prepared sheets.
- Bake until golden brown and firm, 35 to 40 minutes. Turn oven off.
- Make incision in side of each puff to allow steam to escape. Let stand in oven 10 minutes. Cool completely on rack.
- Split puffs.
- Whisk lemon juice into sour cream. Spoon sour cream onto half of each puff.
- Top with caviar and chives.
- Cover with other half of puff. Serve immediately.
An original recipe by Jamie Davies as featured in Bon Appetit, October 1986.