Serve with Schramsberg Blanc de Blancs or Brut Napa Valley
- 4 leeks trimmed, white part only
- 4 large diver Sea Scallops
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup Schramsberg Blanc de Blancs or Brut Napa Valley
- 1/2 oz. caviar
- 8 oz. butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil
- Sea salt
- White pepper
- Trim and clean leeks.
- Lay in a shallow casserole, cover with water up to 2/3.
- Add 1/4-cup butter and one teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil, partially covered.
- Cook over moderate heat until whites are soft, about 30 minutes.
- Keep warm in the cooking water.
- Beat the egg yolks and place in a small saucepan.
- Over low heat, add the Blanc de Blancs a small amount at a time, whisking constantly until thickened. Do not bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and add 4 ounces softened butter.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- In a saute pan on high heat add olive oil.
- When hot, sear scallops until golden brown on the outside and still moist in the center, about one minute per side.
- Lightly season with sea salt.
- Remove leeks from cooking liquid and slice lengthwise.
- Toss in a small bowl with walnut oil. Season with sea salt and pepper.
- Divide onto four plates.
- Place sea scallop on top of leeks.
- Gently mix caviar into sabayon and spoon over scallops.
- Serve immediately.
Submitted by Chef Cyril Frechier, Rover’s, Seattle, WA