Serve with Schramsberg Brut Rose
- 6 18 – 22 oz. Rock Cornish Game Hens (1 1⁄4 to 1 1⁄2 lbs. ea)
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic gloves, peeled & minced
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh thyme, minced or 1⁄4 teaspoon dried
- 1 bay leaf, crumbled
- 1⁄4 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 12 1” sprigs fresh rosemary or 1 1⁄2 t. dried
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- watercress for garnish
- In a glass or ceramic bowl, combine lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, thyme, bay leaf, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
- With large sharp knife or poultry shears, remove backbone form each hen by cutting down either side of the bone.
- Halve the hens and place in a large nonreactive bowl. Pour the marinade over the birds and turn to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours. Remove the hens from the refrigerator about 30 minutes before cooking.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- Remove hens from the marinade and pat dry. Arrange skin-side-up in a single layer in 1 or 2 roasting pans.
- Brush the hens with some of the melted butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 20-25 minutes, brushing with more of the butter, until the juices run clear when a thigh is pierced.
- Transfer the hens to a platter and garnish with watercress. Top each hen half with a sprig of rosemary.
Serve warm or at room temperature.
An original recipe by Jamie Davies, as featured in Food & Wine